Sleeping well makes us feel better, more alert, energetic, and better able to concentrate and perform our daily tasks. Getting enough quality sleep each day is one of the most important things we can do for our health and wellbeing and to reduce our risk for ill-health.
When we are sleeping, we are unconscious, but our brain and body functions are still active. We have five stages of sleep cycles: 1, 2, 3, 4 and rapid eye movement (REM). However, we have different patterns of brain waves during each cycle which are vitally important to the following factors:
- Feeling rested and energetic for the next day
- Learning information, obtaining insight, and forming memories
- Resting the heart and vascular system
- Releasing growth hormone to boost muscle development, repair cells and tissues
- Releasing sex hormones that contributes to puberty and fertility
- Releasing of hormones that help the immune system fight various infections